Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

Default Question on Carbon Monoxide gas

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:20:02 GMT,

Yes but only if oxygen is present. The idea is that you fill the
tank with motor exhaust fumes which are effectively depleted of
oxygen thus any explosive/flamable vapor can ignite because there
is no oxygen present. Many people get the same results by
purging with c02 fir extinguisher. I don't know how effective it
was [tank did not explode] but I have seen several welders squirt
the shielding gas from their metal-arc systems to displace the
air before tig welding on a gas tank.

Same idea is used in many military aircraft. After the fuel tank
explosion on flight 800 aircraft civilian aircraft were supposed
to do this also. Should be accomplished by about 2050.

Uncle George

i figured someone was going to say that. so, if you can use a flammable gas
(carbon monoxide) to displace oxygen, couldn't you purge the oxygen out of
the tank with propane? i understand the idea of purging oxygen to prevent
fire/explosion but it doesn't make sense to me to use a flammable gas to do
so (but i don't have as much experience as you guys).

b.w.