Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default slow drywell

You can try a Drain King http://www.g****erproducts.com/drain.html They are
great, but I doubt if they will solve your problem. You can rent a power
snake from your local rental place, or hire a plumber who has one. Sometime
roots inside a pipe can seem very solid, and sometimes roots can crush a
pipe. A good plumber can tell you if it has to be dug up.

"George" wrote in message
We have an older house. The cellar drain goes off to a (presumed)
drywell somewhere. All that goes down there is a couple of loads of
laundry a week. (We have a screen over the drain to catch lint from
the wash.) This drain has been gradually slowing down. It still
drains, just kind of slowly: if I slow the flow from the washtub, the
drain can keep up.

A snake initially got some roots out, but now just occasional mud.
The snake gets far enough to be out past the cellar wall. It seems to
be running into something solid, as best I can tell. I ran a hose
(with a pressure nozzle) down, to no avail. Digging up the drywell
would be expensive.

I'd be interested in anyone's experience/ideas WRT this situation.

TIA,
George