Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Painting a Smooth Finish on an Interior Door

Matt wrote:
Matt wrote:
I have a new interior door and I have some new acrylic paint
from Lowe's. Whats the best way to paint it so that there is
a smooth finish?

I bought a fine brush, but I don't have the technique down
so that I can lay the paint smoothly. I also used a roller
that paints it evenly but doesn't leave a very smooth surface.

Thanks for your help and time,
Matt

I would like to thank all of you for your responses. They
have greatly helped me out. Just to clarify things. The
paint is Semi-gloss and the door is one of those door slabs
that have holes cut out and hinges already attached to it.
The door comes primed out of the box.

Thanks for your time and responses, sorry I didn't respond
sooner.

Matt who...? Oh right! The OP.

In future, give more information rather than less as far as materials,
intentions, budget, etc. It'll help others to determine what's best in
their experience and opinion without guessing.

As far as paint, it's one of those things that, in general, the more it
costs and the more the can weighs, the better the paint. That doesn't
mean go to the most expensive store, but the higher priced paint at
Lowe's is going to be better than the lower priced within a given
brand. Lowe's doesn't manufacture paint, they just rebrand the can so
the manufacturer is not competing with themselves and Lowe's can
provide a lower price without affecting the manufacturer's pricing.
The weight has to do with the cost of the ingredients - pigments and
resins weigh more than the solvent (water, oil) and are what give paint
it's durability and hiding power.

Let us know how the door turns out.