Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Pull down attic ladder - Help

A 'Froogle' (Google) search for prices
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...next&start=100
has them from $80 to $190 for a wooden one. Check the weight compared to the
price. The heavy ones will be more expensive because they have thicker wood
and stronger springs. Do not get a cheap one. I installed a cheap one in my
garage 30 years ago, and it's fallen apart and/or broken several times.
Don't frame the opening until you actually have the ladder and read the
opening size in the instructions.

"kam" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob wrote:
Safe pull down ladders are usually larger than the opening you have. You
need to hire a carpenter, because the joists will have to be cut and new
framing must be installed. Let the carpenter buy the ladder. Do NOT go

to a
place like Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc. and hire them to install it.

All
those big places hire sub-contractors, and they only hire the lowest

bidder.

"kam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a senior and find it difficult to climb the attic with
conventional ladder .. The opening
for the attic is 28 in x 21 in . Can some one suggest a convinient

pull
down attic ladder
for me . I need to go and check up the attic as the Air handler and
water heater are
located on the attic . Pl. Help .

Regards ,
Kam

Many thanks Bob , Any idea as to how much the safe ladder will cost
?
and what should be the size of the opening .

Regards ,
Kam