Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Well shocking -- decontaminate

According to :

I know the basic drill. Pour a gallon of household bleach through the
well vent. Turn on a outside hose bib and wait until I smell strong
chlorine. I have to skip pumping the water back into the well, since
the well is some 900 yards through the woods away from the house....

A gallon is a _lot_ more than you really need. As bleach can be a bit
hard on some materials, it's better to use a bit more finesse ;-)

Here's a very formalized description of the whole process:

http://www.lifewater.ca/Section_15.htm

A somewhat easier to read version is normally available he
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...infection.html

but it's under revision now.

This is a really good/simplified one:

http://www.healthunit.org/water/infosheet/disinfect.htm

For those friends of ours to the south, 250ml is a cup. The example
given in the last link is 1/4 cup.

Our 6" well with 80' worth of head only needed about a cup and a half
of liquid bleach.

Question is that I have never included the washing machine water line
in this procedure. I was talking to a neighbor, whose ideas are
sometimes a bit out there, and he mentioned to be sure I include the
washer....

Wouldn't mind, but I was thinking the bleach might be pretty harsh on
the innards. Do you all as a matter of course include the washer in
your shocking routine?

With the bleach levels as per the recommendations above, it wouldn't
be a problem with the washer's innards. While you do use bleach _in_
the washer, there is a possibility that you'd have a reservoir of
nastiness in the plumbing just upstream of it waiting to get through
to an unbleached load, or worse, slowly reinfecting the whole system
again. (highly unlikely, but possible).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est