Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default Too close to a computer monitor?

"John Doe" wrote in message
I'm wondering about radiation levels at close range to the
electronics of a computer monitor.

Specifically, I'm thinking about an animal lying on top of the
monitor vents when it's cold in the room (when monitor cooling is
not an issue).

Is there a significant difference in potentially destructive
radiation at that close range?

I vaguely recall hearing about some significant radiation at very
close range to specific components?

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry about that, the radiation from a correctly functioning
monitor or TV should be within safe levels.

However I would worry about blocking vents, which could cause overheating
and premature failure, or the animal drooling or ****ing into the monitor,
which could be fatal to the monitor and potentially dangerous to the animal
.. I had a rather expensive TV for repair a few years back where a tomcat
decided to relieve himself into the top vents. The cat was OK but the TV was
a mess. Horrible, sticky, pungent and worst of all highly corrosive and
rather conductive gunk all over the electronics, and a few blown components.

Dave