Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Berger

Default abbreviations

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't try to learn useful things
unless we're also willing to learn silly useless stuff too? One
can learn woodworking skills from others without having to
decipher silly, non-standard, made-up acronyms and words.

It's not limited to this newsgroup, of course. People like to
use jargon everywhere. But some terms are more universal than
others. While many terms are commonly used in publications,
some of them only seem to appear in usenet postings.

Then there's the ambiguity. Some of us have more than one interest.
While you might think SCMS is a sliding compound miter saw, most of
the world (that is familiar with the term) knows it as the
Serial Copying Management System. And why do some of you need
row address strobes (RAS) in your shops? Just what are you
refreshing? If you use TS for table saw, how can TM (t) be
tape measure? Shouldn't it be table miter?

Language growth is fine, unless it's just to increase ambiguity or
decrease accessibility.

George wrote:
I am an "elitist" because I advocate learning others' language? While you,
who refuse to,
would be what?

Language grows through neologisms of all sorts, including abbreviations,
pronounceable or not.

I'll go with Leo. If you won't learn from others, how do you fancy you know
so much?