Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default 2hp on 20 amp circuit

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Appreciate everyone's comments. My attached garage/shop has only one
110V 20A circuit for all the outlets/lights and the breaker box is in
the house's basement about 90 feet away, so I think my re-wiring
options are limited and costly.

If the breaker box is 90' away, the voltage drop will kill you.
http://www.electrician.com/vd_calculator.html

Anybody know if there's any good 1.5HP 8" jointers available? Is it
worth considering replacing the Yorkcraft 8" jointer 2.0HP motor with a
1.5HP?

It took me 2 hours and maybe $40 in materials to run a 240v line 80' to my
TS. Certainly that is a better idea than replacing a motor!
Don't you want to use a DC with your jointer? How are you going to do that?
In fact, if you have 2 amps going to your lights, then you will be trying to
put 24a on a 20a circuit just for the jointer; a horribly bad idea.
I never use more than one tool at a time, but I have a 240v and 3 120v
circuits to my shop; and it is not much of a shop.
Somebody suggested putting in a 60a subpanel. I wish I had done that, but I
put them in one at a time, thinking each would be the last one.