Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default 2hp on 20 amp circuit

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Appreciate everyone's comments. My attached garage/shop has only one
110V 20A circuit for all the outlets/lights and the breaker box is in
the house's basement about 90 feet away, so I think my re-wiring
options are limited and costly.

You're living on the edge as it is. When that breaker trips the lights do
out. That is not a lot of fun with power tools. Since you are buying a
jointer, I assume you are running other power tools also. What is the DC
going to run on?

Your options may not be as limited as you think. There are was of getting
power that may seem illogical, but are done all the time. Fishing a wire 90
feet may be a PITA, but it is also possible to run a line outside along the
house and back into the garage. There are safe and code compliant ways of
doing that. Talk to an electrician and he'll probably have a half dozen
solutions to give you plenty of power for many tools. He will probably want
to keep the lights and add circuits for the tools.
Ed