Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default 2hp on 20 amp circuit

On 5 Jan 2006 07:08:20 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I'm considering a Yorkcraft 8" jointer that comes with a 2hp motor that
would draw 22 full load amps at 110 volts.

What are you going to use it for ? If it's a question of start-up
current, then so long as it doesn't have a huge cast iron head, then you
should have no trouble. If you're intending to use it for typical
"amateur" use with some occasional need for the extra width, then that's
OK. Only if you're planning on smoothing down rough pitch pine with
heavy cuts because you're in a hurry is a 2hp motor really going to need
to draw that sort of current.

Personally I'd use it. But I might adjust the overload relay in the
motor starter so that _that_ was what tripped first, rather than the
fusebox breaker. It's not good practice to repeatedly trip fusebox
breakers, they don't have the wear lifetime for it.

OTOH, I'd be lost without my 3hp cabinet saw. If this feed is the best
you have to your whole workshop, then I'd certainly want to upgrade it.
My own workshop has no dedicated feed at all - fortunately I'm in the UK
where every outlet is 4hp as standard 8-)