Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2hp on 20 amp circuit

TBone wrote:
I know what you are talking about at HD but IIRC, none of them support 220V
but I could be wrong. In order for that to happen, the double half sized
breaker would need to come in contact with both poles and I am unaware of
any box that would support that or how it could even be done unless the box
has slots reserved for only that type of breaker. All of the double single
slot breakers I've seen just give you two 110V circuits in the space of 1
but they are both on the same pole. I have to go to HD later and now you
have me curious so I will head to the electrical department to check that
out.

I think he's talking about a quad breaker. You can run four 110v, two 110v
and a 220v, or two 220v circuits off a two slot quad breaker.

In the case he is discussing, it is a half, two halves tied together for
a 220, and another half. The center two halves do take up a "single slot
space", the catch is you need to have a half above and below it because
it needs to span two poles.