Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

Default waterbed pedestal w/ drawers

Phisherman wrote:
Thanks for all the comments/feedback, and I would appreciate more! I
just got back from my local library, yet I found nothing(!) about
waterbed pedestal construction. Don't understand the unpopular
reasons for a waterbed, as I've slept on one for over 30 years. I'm
not necessarily asking for free plans, I'm willing to purchase if I
can find them.

Try this for a slide show of the assembly
http://www.abcwaterbeds.com/assyc1.htm
Plans are available http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=6750
My frame is 2 drawers high, factory made. Imagine a Tic Tac Toe layout
for the base. The 4 corners are the 2 drawer units with one finished
side, the drawer frame side and 2 raw interior sides. The headboard end
had a panel that slides into groves of the top units and the foot end
has a single door frame that slides in, possibly screwed to the sides,
to close it off. The sides have double door frames that are screwed in
to hold the sides together. Inner bracing consists of 1x3 'L' cross
section frames holding the side units together with cross bars from side
to side at the top. Opening the bottom single door you have a 7' long
storage area with nothing on the floor. Opening the side doors you have
a 2' storage hole with a cross brace on the floor separating it from the
middle long section. 3 pieces of decking go on top of this and the 2x
frame rests on it. Add a headboard and you're done.
Joe