Posted to rec.woodworking
dondone

Default 2hp on 20 amp circuit

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering a Yorkcraft 8" jointer that comes with a 2hp motor that
would draw 22 full load amps at 110 volts. However all I have to run
the jointer on is a 110v 20 amp circuit. I don't expect to use the
jointer frequently.

Am I out of luck?

Steve

I agree that the best solution is an upgrade to 220 v circuit. But this
will take two slots in your breaker box, so you will need to have an empty
slot or give up a current circuit - but you would not have to chanage the
wire, only the receptacle. And, of course, the connection to the motor has
to be redone (which is probably possible for this size motor). But if you
do decide to keep it on 110 v, make sure that the wire size on the current
20 amp circuit is 12 gauge or larger (10 guage would be preferable). I
have seen many cases where someone at some time simply replaced a 15 amp
breaker on 14 gauge wire with a 20 amp breaker w/o changing the wire. That
is dangerous!!!