Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.transport
Doctor Drivel

Default 'Steam' powered cars...

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Or reliable long-life batteries on a swappable pallet. This isn't
completely infeasible.

Hmm. Given they're likely to cost several thousand pounds the logistics
sound horrendous. You might as well just operate a vehicle pool.

So why not? Vehicle pools are borderline practical too (in sensible
mainland European countries).

Hmm. I'd like to see some real world figures. Somehow I can't see a
general pool system working in the legacy of Thatcher Britain.

Have you seen the recent publications
from MIT (that's in Boston, the European quarter of the USA) on concepts
for poolable urban podcars?

No - but concepts often are just that.

The Prius already effectively has a pooled battery, because of the high
capital cost and the extensive warranty this entails to make it
affordable without excess risk on each owner.

Err, it's done by Toyota being happy to lose money on each Prius they sell
- subsidised by the sales of their conventional vehicles. Which can't go
on for ever.

More tripe.

** snip babble **