Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Default replacing a 'direct' hot water cylinder with an 'indirect' one....

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 06:38:12 -0800, Russ wrote:

sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

I think he means a skip-grade one (provided it's not leaking).
You often find sound but aged cylinders removed where someone's up*graded
to a combi or whatever. They're OK to use if they're foam-lagged but their
heat echanger coils may not be up to current regs.

Another option with a direct cylinder might be to use it as a thermal
store with a plate heat echanger, flow switch and pump to give hot water.
It's something I've been plotting but not yet done.

* or 'down' if you're Dave P & co ;-)