Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Default Design Current and Type B/C MCBs

RzB wrote:

Andy,
I have re-thought the workshop loading and done
some cable calcs and put them on...
http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/workshop/electrics

That URL gives me a blank page (in Firefox) and the only source I can
see (with whitespace removed) is:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
ptable cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0 border=0tr/p

It looks like a 16mm T&E with 6mm CPC will
satisfy the regs with whatever protection is back at
the house. However, I think I will put in a separate
10mm CPC (belt & braces) and have a fused
switched by the house CU as you suggested.

I'm not clear about the sort of Fuse to use ?
BS 88, BS1361 ? Or what? Or will that get
determined by the switch-fuse unit.

Either, and yes (obviously) it will be determined by the type of fuse
carrier in the switch-fuse.

Do I take it this is the sort of thing you are suggesting...
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WY108.html

That's *exactly* what I had in mind. My own workshop installation is
fed through a 108M (the metalclad version) fitted with a 45 A fuse. You
could also look at things like the MEM Excel range, which take BS 88
fuses, but they're much more expensive for no real advantage.

--
Andy