Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default immersion heating woes...

Russ wrote:

our electricity bill for the year last year (only 2 of us in the
house) was £800, so £160 for a tank with new thermostat and new
heater that
I am now going to fit myself doesn't seem like a bad place to start.

The strap on thermostat is a good idea though, and if there's no
improvement with the new tank, etc, then I'll definitely give that a
go.

Cheers

Be very careful if you go the strap-on stat route. Many stats of this type
are only designed to switch cental heating valves or pumps - and can only
handle about 3amps - making them totally useless for switching an immersion
heater. The Horstmann HCT2 stat sold by Screwfix for 8 quid appears to be
able to handle 16 amps, so may be ok.

Even so, it probably doesn't meet current regs with regard to having to have
a manually re-settable safety stat in addition to the one providing normal
temperature control.
--
Cheers,
Set Square