Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Question about red electrical outlets

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
t...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
In some office environments, I've seen red electrical outlets, usually
dedicated to computer equipment. What's different about these outlets?

In addition to the red as mentioned in the other replies, you may also
come across orange outlets, these have a dedicated ground wire that goes
directly to the panel. This is to keep noise out of sensitive electronics
like you would find in hospitals.

Kevin

This is sort of what I was wondering about: Noise. I play in a band, and
although I've mostly seen these red/orange outlets in offices, I ran across
just ONE box with red or orange plugs at a bar last week. Couldn't make out
the color in the bad light, from a distance in the audience. And, there were
just two plugs, so I suspect the place never expected to have more than a
solo act plugging in equipment.