Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Painting a Smooth Finish on an Interior Door

RicodJour wrote:
John Willis wrote:

In my original reply to the original poster, I suggested, for a nice,
smooth finish, three coats of primer, with sanding and cleaning in
between, and two finish coats, with suitable sanding and cleaning in
between. This process fills imperfections in the surface with the
primer and give good coverage with two finish coats. Of course, more
may be applied if one desires...

I'm sure you get good results, John, but it just seems to me that
you're using a product to do something it wasn't designed to do.
Primer has very little body and build up.

Which is why we need some decent "sanding surfacer" paints. Such are
common in autobody paints and relatively common in marine paints.

Best I ever found was an InterLux paint that had been formulated
especially for surfacing woods such as luan. Very heavy bodied, dried
fast and sanded like a dream...you could make a baby's ass out of
anything. Unfortunately it was very expensive. Even more
unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available any more.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...