Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Funny repeat problem with a 60 inch RCA PTK195AC (model P60812BL)

Again, do you think that the EPROM could cause a complete lack of the
projection tubes putting out any light? The only evidence that the TV
is working is the regular starting sequence, normal sound and a glow of
the filiments from the projection tubes.

And again, 99% sure the EEprom is NOT the cause of the problem. The
technician needs to take the light box into the shop where it can be
properly troubleshot and repaired. If the tech still thinks it is the
eeprom and wants to just throw parts at the set, I would suggest you
ask if the servicer has a bench tech who can work on the set when the
light box is taken in. I do hope the servicer was RCA authorized and
attended all the factory training.

The ctc195 series is a PIA to troubleshoot and it is prone to lots of
intermittent issues. There are also multiple service bulletins that
need to be checked for the specific set to see what serial number range
it falls under.

99% of the time an eeprom looking problem on that chassis winds up
being glue that has become conductive underneath a surface mount
component on the clock or data lines. I have repaired several hundred
of that chassis with this very specific problem over the last 6 or so
years.