Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Default Cracking Wood

Your question led me to your web site. While totally off the point, I
notice that you are importing something you are calling Brazilian
Rosewood. You may or may not be aware, but it is illegal to saw the
true Brazilian rosewood (dalbergia stevensonii), world-wide. The wood
you are dealing with is usually called Jatoba or Brazilian cherry. It
doesn't have the mystique of 'rosewood' but changing the name just might
keep the feds off your doorstep.

Now, to your question.

In Belize, the humidity is normally much higher than here and they don't
have the cold weather and heated houses to deal with. When you move a
piece which was turned green or partially green from Belize to the US,
you are going to have problems.

The 5/8" thickness adds to the problem -- thinner would be better. In
any event, though, there are some basics you must consider.

Cocobolo and related woods are very slow to give up water. The pieces
probably are going to have to be rough turned, kiln dried very carefully
and then re-turned. Without a doubt, that drives your production cost
and lead times up, even in Belize.

At the risk of offending, it seems to me that there are some pretty
basic things of which you are not aware when it comes to wood and
turning. I wish you the best but I think you need some expert advice
somewhere along the line. I'm no expert but I have spent a lot of time
in Belize, southern Mexico and Guatemala buying logs and lumber. If you
want to take this conversation off line, let me know. Also, I'm
guessing that I may know your source down there.

Bill

wrote:
I am importing turned wood products frpm Central America - Some of the
products form bad cracks some do not - these are substantial pieces
some as thick as 5/8". What can we do to avoid crackiing. Should we be
Klin Drying before we turn - and then dry the some more?