Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Andrews

Default An acronym free musing about hired turners. L&S(long and silly)

Arch wrote:
Anyway just to suggest a hypothetical argument to fan the flames; does
it somehow seem not quite right for a busy 'Leading Light' (definition:
a turner who publishes excessively so as not to perish) to have work
begun and mostly turned or finished by a talented but unknown
journeyman; barely touched by himself, yet signed and sold as a 'Mr.
Wonderful' original?

I'm not sure that there is anything terribly wrong with that approach.
It might be argued that the craft of woodturning might benefit by the
use of more master / apprentice relationships.

As long as the master is in charge and sets the standards for design,
aesthetics and quality, I really don't see the harm in it. There maybe
some need to let it be known that this is how the work is done in his
shop so that buyers aren't misled. And it could be the start of a
slippery slope towards becoming a factory. Ultimately it is up to the
customer to decide who they want to buy from.

I'm sure no woodturning guru ever demeaned the
craft in this manner.

I'm sure they have, though I question whether it demeans the craft.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers