Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Becker

Default An acronym free musing about hired turners. L&S(long and silly)

"Arch" wrote in message

Anyway just to suggest a hypothetical argument to fan the flames; does
it somehow seem not quite right for a busy 'Leading Light' (definition:
a turner who publishes excessively so as not to perish) to have work
begun and mostly turned or finished by a talented but unknown
journeyman; barely touched by himself, yet signed and sold as a 'Mr.
Wonderful' original?

Well, it's not a perfect world. This is a very common practice.
I think part of the answer hinges on who designs the piece.
If "Mr. Wonderful" designs the piece and then hands it off
to someone else to - I'm going to use the word 'manufacture'. -
then I suppose it could be deemed a "Mr. Wonderful Original."

If, however, Mr. Wonderful employs a factory full of turners
slamming out bowls, then it ceases to be "art" and becomes a
factory, and Mr. Wonderful can call them whatever he wants,
but the public will catch on soon enough when the price drops
to a Wal-Mart level.

Just my two cents....

--
Bob Becker