Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default 2hp on 20 amp circuit

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering a Yorkcraft 8" jointer that comes with a 2hp motor that
would draw 22 full load amps at 110 volts. However all I have to run
the jointer on is a 110v 20 amp circuit. I don't expect to use the
jointer frequently.

I don't disagree with the others that it will kinda work as long as you
don't mind tripping breakers and all the safety issues that involves.

But I would also warn against voltage drop. That can really kill a motor
and yours will be pretty bad on a 20a line.
If you can convert to 240v and put in a new circuit, that would certainly be
the right thing to do.