Posted to rec.woodworking
TBone

Default 2hp on 20 amp circuit

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering a Yorkcraft 8" jointer that comes with a 2hp motor that
would draw 22 full load amps at 110 volts. However all I have to run
the jointer on is a 110v 20 amp circuit. I don't expect to use the
jointer frequently.

It is hard to say. I doubt that it will ever be under "full load" so that
shouldn't be a problem. Where your problem might be is in it starting as
that is when they always pull excessive current. I ran my entire shop
(except for the lights) on one 20 amp circuit for years and only blew the
breaker twice, both times when starting the DC while another machine was
running. If this jointer is a "good deal" that is time limited, I would go
for it. Is there a reason that you cannot upgrade to a higher capacity
circuit?