Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Question on Carbon Monoxide gas

"Roy" wrote in message
There seems to be differences of opinions on the properties of carbon
monoxide gas. One source says its heavier than air another says its
lighter, so.......is it heavier or lighter than air?

To be honest I rather trust the info from this forum than various
websites and media types.

It is slightly lighter than air. It also enters the blood stream around 300
times easier than oxygen, IIRC from my medical training.

If you suspect you or someone is affected, look at their nails. Cyanosis,
bluing of nailbeds and lips, is a sign.

As another poster said, get a good CO alarm. This is one that has a
constant digital readout of what the CO is at any moment, as well as a
memory. If the danger level is 400ppm, I don't want to wait until then. Or
if it only goes up to 396, and the alarm doesn't sound. By then, you will
have a doozy of a headache, and feel bad for a while.

CO is lethal and kills people every day. One of the things that makes it so
lethal is that it is silent and odorless. Get a good detector. I have
Kidde brand.

Steve