Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Earth trip testing

On 5 Jan 2006 06:30:52 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

In that case how should I provide earth protection on my metal light
switches and fittings (other than replacing them with plastic ones) ?

What you need to do is run the new T&E cable back to the consumer
unit, where you can connect the protective conductor in the T&E to
the earth bar.

Using the protective conductor of another circuit is a no-no. For
testing it must be possible to disconnect the whole circuit at the
consumer unit.

As you are renovating things, now is a good time to replace all the
lighting circuit wiring. You may well be able to use the existing
wiring to pull through the new wiring.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh