Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Default Earth trip testing

Is there some wiring that may need to be changed at the consumer panel
to get this to work? I wouldn't touch the consumer panel myself but I'd
appreciate any advice so I can get someone in if required.

It is normal to not run lighting circuits through an RCD, as the risk of
injury from failing lighting during a "situation" (i.e. fire or chopping
through a cable with a power tool) is actually much greater than that posed
by a circuit without supplementary earth fault protection.

Indeed, it is close to not permissible these days to wire a consumer unit so
that the lighting shares an RCD with the socket circuits. There are
exceptions.

Christian.