Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth trip testing

Hi,
I don't have the proper test equipment but tested my socket circuits
earth trip by connecting a 15w bulb to live and earth (15w is the
lowest I could find that draws 30ma). This test worked and I found a
few sockets that did not have an earth and I corrected this.

Next I tested my lighting circuits which don't have any earth wires
connected. I am replacing some existing lighting circuit wiring as I
have the ceiling pulled down during renovations. I have linked the
lighting earth to one of the existing socket earths. I found that
connecting the bulb from live to earth did not cause a trip. I also
tried with a 60w and 100w bulb. Just to ensure earth continuity I
connected the lamp from live on a socket junction to earth on the
lighting junction, this did not trip.
Is there some wiring that may need to be changed at the consumer panel
to get this to work? I wouldn't touch the consumer panel myself but I'd
appreciate any advice so I can get someone in if required.

Note that I ensured nobody else in the house would touch any metal
objects that might be earth bonded.

Thanks,
Declan.