Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
dan cordes

Default Turning Green Wood

Hi Morbius,

There are a couple things you can do to prevent splitting.
1. Turn the walls to a thin consistent thickness.
2. Do what is called twice turned bowls. First you shape the outside of the
bowl. Then start the hollowing process, until you have 3/4" - 1" wall
thickness.
Then remove the bowl from the lathe, and set it aside for a couple months
to dry. If you are in a dry climate you will want to place the blank in a
paper bag or wrap it in newspaper to slow the drying process. The blank will
be warped when dry. Don't worry that's natural.
3. When the black is dry, remount it on the lathe and reshape the outside.
Then finish the hollowing of the inside.
When done no more splitting or warping.

Good Luck.

Dan
"Moribus" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am new to turning and recently turned a bowl from green wood (fresh
cut, really fresh). Took it off the chuck and set it inside to dry out
a bit and it split badly. I have read that you can turn green wood,
but nothing about keeping it from splitting. Any suggestions for a
turning "greenie"?