Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flywheel on a rotary phase convertor

Suppose I take a three phase motor and use some method to get it
running on a single phase source, and then connect the three leads of
the motor to a three phase rectifier bridge. Do I not have three phase
power going to the rectifier bridge? Is my ripple current not pretty
much what I would expect if I had the rectifier bridge connected to the
output of a three phase generator? It seems to me that a RPC does not
need a load motor to work.

Dan

Robert Swinney wrote:

No. A RPC is not a three-phase device in the classical sense; It isn't fed
with 3-phases and it does not "generate" 3 phases as would, say a 3-phase
alternator. True, the currents circulating in the load motor may make you
think they are 3-phase but that is because they are the products of a
special network. That network is *not* comprised of motors having all 3
sets of leads connected in parallel. Because of the way it is connected,
that network has the capability of taking single-phase current into two
3-phase motors and delivering currents that emulates true 3 phase current.
Key to accomplishing this is the non-parallel connection between the 3rd
legs.

Bob Swinney