Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Assembly and fitting of Thermostatic Radiator Valve

In message .com, Don
writes
If you copy/paste the following urls and replace hxxp with http you
will see pictures of my problem at my photobucket account. I believe
this is within the rules as I am not including any HTML in my post.

hxxp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/neil_jung/NEWTRV.jpg
hxxp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/neil_jung/NEWTRVEXPLODEDVIEW.jpg
hxxp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/neil_jung/OLDTRV.jpg
hxxp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/neil_jung/StuckFittingOnPipe.jpg

It would have been easier to leave the http untouched. That isn't html
and means most readers will spot it as a link and saved fiddling :-)

Anyway, what you have called brass 'O' rings are referred to as
'olives'. I've not used these but I assume that you use one nut and
olive to attached the valve body to the tail. Best way is probably to
fit the tail to the radiator slide on the nut and olive, then do up the
nut. Once done up it will hold tight, presumably this is to allow for
some adjustment.

Re the olive stuck on the pipe, this is pretty common. I have got away
with leaving the olive on a pipe (with the nut) and then connecting it
to a new fitting - but this does risk the joint leaking as the old olive
may not seal correctly (an further addition to the bodge is top put a
few wraps on PTFE tape around the olive first.

The are various ways to try and get it off, gripping it with apir of
pliers or molegrips (mind the pipe it is easy to squash it) and
twisting, using something like a junior hacksaw or a dremel to
carefully mostly cut the olive - try not to nick the pipe, then use
screwdriver etc. to pop it off. Put a adustable spanner underneath the
nut at tap with a hammer to knock it off, etc.if there is enough slack
in the pipe you can just cut the end of the pipe off (get a proper
little pipe cutter for a neat cut) .

There have been threads on this try searching back on Google Groups.

When doing up the joints with olives, don't over do it. once you feel
the joint start to 'tighten up - by hand preferably, just give an extra
1/8 - 1/4 quarter turn with the spanner . If it still leaks a bit later
you can just give it a fuurther little tweak.
--
Chris French