Posted to alt.locksmithing,alt.home.repair
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Default Locksmithing? Isn't that kinda like Knife Sharpening?

I assume you're just trolling but what the heck. I'm not busy right now.
It's 9:55 pm and I have enough work during the day that I seldom take night
calls anymore unless it's a regular account or I'm bored. And then only up
until 10:00.

(But I digress)

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

Take a look a vertical rod exit device installation sheet and get back to
me on that one.

Carpenters do the project and development housing jobs.

Fine by me. No money in new construction. Let somebody else install locks
for $15.00/hr

Supers/Janitorial in'juneers do the already built apartment houses.

Again, fine by me. While I have a few apt complexes I do work at, it's
certainly now where the real money is.

Locksmithing is obsolete.

To quote you.... "BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Maybe some aspects are, but commercial and safe work will always be there.
It's too complicated for a DIYer with a screwdriver.

What is the point of spending hours rebuilding some lockset, fabricating
pieces and so forth when the entire dammed thing cost $29.95?

True, a residential grade lockset is seldom worth the time and expense to
repair, but commercial grade locksets run anywhere from $78 for an Arrow
knob lock to up to $500 (or more) for a brand name mortise lock. You don't
just toss those when the fail, (unless the only tool you carry is a
screwdriver)

..
I can see it for antique's, but no person with half an ounce of common
sense would let a locksmith anywhere near an antique lock.

So who should someone call to repair an antique LOCK???

They would drill it and ruin it in short order.

Why would anybody DRILL an antique lock???

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Teach, write, and/or invent.

Now go away.

--
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

www.bearlock.com
www.edgemerebiblechurch.org

Bear Lock & Security Service, Inc - A full service locksmith company
specializing in professional, cost effective solutions to your
Commercial, Residential, Safe, and Automotive Security Problems.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness;
and all these things will be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

One of these days... gonna see the hands that took the nails for me.
One of these days... gonna hold the key to a mansion built for me.
One of these days... gonna walk the streets of gold that were paved for me.
One of these days, I'm gonna see my Jesus face to face.
One of these days.

FFH