Posted to alt.home.repair
John Willis

Default Painting a Smooth Finish on an Interior Door

On 3 Jan 2006 20:10:50 -0800, "RicodJour"
scribbled this interesting note:

John Willis wrote:

Why use multiple coats of primer? To fill imperfections in the
surface. Primer is easier to sand and dries fast, thus multiple coats
are easy to put on, sand, and clean up.

One coat of primer will seal the surface, more or less. Multiple
coats, with light sanding and good cleaning between coats, will
provide a very smooth surface and give higher quality results in the
final finish.

The primer is the bonding/sealing coat, or in your case, coats. The
finish paint is the wear and cosmetic coats. As long as there is an
equal amount of finish paint applied, I see no harm in applying more
primer coats. It just seems like it would take more time as you can't
skip the finish coats.

It does take more time. The results, in my opinion, are worth it.

Sometimes someone will tell me about their miraculous way of tinting a
primer so they can get by with only one coat of finish paint on the
walls. Ain't happening. I want the longevity of at least two finish
coats and that's what I'm willing to pay for.

In my original reply to the original poster, I suggested, for a nice,
smooth finish, three coats of primer, with sanding and cleaning in
between, and two finish coats, with suitable sanding and cleaning in
between. This process fills imperfections in the surface with the
primer and give good coverage with two finish coats. Of course, more
may be applied if one desires...

Of course, all this is with oil based primers and enamels. With the
current crop of latex paints commonly available in the U.S., it is my
opinion that on interior work, latex only belongs on the walls, not
the woodwork.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)