Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default Funny repeat problem with a 60 inch RCA PTK195AC (model P60812BL)

wrote:
Well, I thought you-all were pulling my leg about coolant. What is the
origin of this coolant? I looked around on top of the boards (and my
service repair guy also had the chassis out and did not mention
coolant--but I will ask him about that) and I see only a light dust
over the surface of the boards (chassis is quite clean for something
not touched in 8 years). Since I have the service manual, could you
give me a number/letter coordinate to locate this possible leak? The
boards are labeled Main Circuit Board, Convergence Circuit Board, etc.

The coolant is glycol based and is used between the face of the
projection CRTs and the optics. It conducts heat away from the tubes to
a heatsink around the rim where the lense assembly bolts on. Very old
projection sets were air cooled, but just about anything made in the
last 20 years will be liquid cooled.