Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default THD claims of audio signal generators

Bret Ludwig wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
snip
If you use them a lot, the tubes wear out.

This is why they still make'em.

There
are no proprietary parts that are likely to wear out with
normal use.

Tubes have always been proprietary parts. OK, you HP 200C has say a 6SN7 in
it. Which manufacturer's 6SN7 is the right one to use?

My experience is the box works with any of them. Probably one yields
best case distortion or dial tracking. I have never had it be an issue.

My experience with several dozen HP 200's does not match yours.
Yes, they all oscillate, but amplitude stability and phase noise is
tube dependent.

The tube-bigot lie here is that most ICs in good audio test equipment are
standard parts, or can be readily replaced with standard parts.

IIRC the 8903 has a proprietary diff amp that is close to unobtanium.

If you recall, the 8903 is a fairly rare beast in and of itself and
hardly
constitutes an example supporting your claim. I have an entire wall
of audio test equipment from HP, ST, Techron, GR, B&K, Leader,
and so on, and there's nary a proprietary IC in any one of them.

Now the exception is my old, trusty GR 1390B random noise
generator which uses a proprietary noise diode. if it goes, the
unit is worthless. WAIT! It's a vacuum tube, not an IC! Fancy that,
a proprietary, non-replaceable vacuum tube.

HP solid state RF gens use a lot of proprietary silicon-8640s

Lessee, HP 8640: signal generator with a range of 500 kHz to
500 MHz. Please explain how that is "audio test equipment."