Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

Default Drill Press chuck question

The up side to a BB chuck is that the actuation is MUCH smoother, the down
side is that for a given size they are about %50 bigger in diameter. I have
both and ocassionaly use both, my 1/2 is BB and I LOVE it, my 5/8 is plaine
and it works... Like Grant I was taught to ALWAYS use the key in all three
holes and even do that on the BB..

If you have a Milling maching you'll probably use a much smaller chuck for
the under 1/4 inch bits and then use turned shank bits and a collet on the
bigger ones... Long ago I used to think turned shanks were for people who
couldn't afford a big chuck (or were using an oversized bit in a wimpy hand
drill) then I got my first mill drill with collets and realized what a
turned shank was all about... Now on my BP with power downfeed I KNOW what a
turned shank is for :-)

FWIW I can usually get by with using a collet even on the smaller bits, just
depends on how much you want to 'spring' or compress a not quite exact fit
of shank size to collet...

All my better bits above 1/4 have turned shanks and I even have a few of my
bigger bits (1 inch range) in MT for the tailstock on my lathe... It's my
lathe that I wind up using chucks much more than I do on my BP. Some day
I'll be rich enough to afford a better lathe with collets for the tail stock
too. :-))

--.- Dave

"Alex" wrote in message
Did anyone try both Plain Bearing and Ball Bearing drill press chucks and
can share his thoughts? Are BB chucks really worth the difference in
price?

Thanks,
Alex