Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

Default Caustic Soda Vs One Shot Sulphuric Acid

In message , Tim S
writes
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:44:50 +0000, david lang wrote:

raden wrote:

So what's the long term consequence of making all that ammonium
tri-iodide as a kid ?

Is that the stuff that went bang on impact?

It was nitrogen tri-iodide, and yes, it goes bang very easily
made from ammonia solution (conc) and aqueous iodine solution. Fairly
stable when wet -

Initially, yes,

but it becomes unstable after a time ( a couple of days)

I once had about 1/2 " under water in a jam jar go off in my hand

I ended up with the screw thread still intact and a violet stain on the
ceiling and floor

and another stain which I'm not willing to discuss

scary, it was ...

allegedly fun to poke the paste into people's door lock
and wait for it to dry out.

Ooops, I must be a terrorist... If you want a really big bang, try (or
don't) nitrogen tri-chloride. It's a liquid. First bloke to make it ended
up minus an eye and some fingers.

I recall mixing potassium permanganate with something to make a paste that
exploded on contact once dry.

pot permang + drop of glycerine was fun too. Goes up by itself after a
minute or two.

Tim

--
geoff