Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default immersion heating woes...

Russ wrote on 04/01/2006 :
Upon having a closer look at things now I've got home, the 27"
immersion heater goes a LOT further into the tank than my guessed
sketch above. THe shower outlet is only about 1/3 of the way down the
immersion heater, so should be plenty of hot water.

The hottest water will still be at the very top of the tank.

Just tried to remove the old heater, as I got a new one at lunch. It's
not budging at all.......not an iota. I've bent the immersion heater
ring spanner and even some stilsons as long as my arm couldn't persuade
it to move.

Calcification can quickly lead to the element over heating and burning
out. You might try tightening it a little before trying to undo it and
as you have nothing to loose - try draining it down and applying some
heat from a blow lamp of heat gun. If its an old tank with a retro
fitted immersion boss, it will have been drilled out and a boss plumbed
into place. Heat would certainly get that out complete with the boss.

Plumbing a boss in takes a little practise, but is quite satisfying :-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)