Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default ABS Repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
news:zhTuf.6806$JT.5721@fed1read06...
I have an ABS solar collector, I believe. It is black pipe, and runs
through a series of short pieces and tees. One of the tees is leaking a

bit
where it was glued. It is just a very small drippy hole.

I want to patch this.

Do you think it would be better to:

Take my Dremel tool and drill out the small hole, put a screw or small

piece
of something solid in the hole and JBWeld it?

OR:

Wrap some type of mesh over the top and goop it up with ABS cement, and do
about three layers, letting each dry?

This is in DIRECT Las Vegas sun. It is part of a solar collector for a
pool, and pressure inside the filter indicates between 7 and 14 psi,
depending on the state of the DE in the filter. The leak is nearly at the
top of the branch, so I believe the pressure at that point (14' above

ground
.... 14 x .443) might be less than at the ground level filter.

What are your experiences with this? The short sections between the tees
have the small lines coming off of them, and they are all one piece, so a
cutout is impossible without losing that whole section.

I believe reaming it out and injecting JBWeld would be the best, but

thought
I'd ask here first in case anyone has any previous experiences/horror
stories with this.

TIA

Steve

ABS is not pressure tested to my knowledge. Find out what the material is
and replace it. Chances are you in for several repairs soon. Nothing
plastic, or wood stands before the desert sun for long. Grinding or fooling
about with the material that is there will only lead to more repairs.

I have lived in Phoenix for the last 32 years.