Posted to alt.home.repair
Amun

Default Oiling a Floor?

"Rob" wrote in message
I have variable width, wide pine floors and I recently removed old
carpet and sanded the floors in one room with relatively low foot
traffic. I am new to floor refinishing, and was curious if my idea that
follows would work:

I was thinking of oiling the floor in this one room as an experiment to
see if it looks good, maybe using tongue oil (but I am not sure which
oil to use). What I want to know is:

1) Will oiling a floor cause any problems down the line if I ultimately
decide to polyurethane the floor? In other words, will the oil interfere
with polyurethane if I poly the floor in say a year?

2) What is the best sort of oil to use for a floor, and if I do use an
oil, is oil enough, or do I need to cover the floor insomething after
(like wax)?

The reason I want to try something else before polyurethane is that I
don't completely like the look of polyurethane given it is so shiny...

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Rob

I would avoid oil on a floor as you will track it all over the house.
And dirt will be major problem.

Oil will darken any wood permanently so it may affect the color later.
Wax on top won't help.

There are low luster poly finishes so you won't see the shine.

AMUN