Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well shocking -- decontaminate

Just came through some major floods, all-time record in my area
actually. Thankfully, the roads held up, although I had to do an extra
45-minute detour to get to town.

But, for the first time ever, my well became contaminated and for two
days looked like a strong tea. The discoloration has finally cleared
out, but I know I should shock it before using.

I know the basic drill. Pour a gallon of household bleach through the
well vent. Turn on a outside hose bib and wait until I smell strong
chlorine. I have to skip pumping the water back into the well, since
the well is some 900 yards through the woods away from the house....

Anyway, open the rest of the cold spigots one-by-one throughout the
house until we get the chlorine odor. Turn-off, let set 12 hours and
then open an outside bib to flush the system.

Question is that I have never included the washing machine water line
in this procedure. I was talking to a neighbor, whose ideas are
sometimes a bit out there, and he mentioned to be sure I include the
washer....

Wouldn't mind, but I was thinking the bleach might be pretty harsh on
the innards. Do you all as a matter of course include the washer in
your shocking routine?