Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Microwave oven HV cap. Working to shorted overnight?

"CRaSH" wrote in
newsMQuf.37813$Mi5.12378@dukeread07:

Doug Warner wrote:
Sharp oven, approx 8 years old. Turned it on tonight, loud hum for
1/2 sec, blue flash from rear, then nothing,.

Since my background is electronics, I opened it, found the 20A fuse
was open and installed a new 10A one ((biggest 250V fuse I had)
Turned on, and observed that the flash came from the capacitor in the
rear. (Can't tell excatly where it was arcing..)

Checked cap for charge (dead), metered it,. 2 ohms!..
As a final test, I connected it in series with my bench supply and a
#1157 automotive bulb, and it lights.. (it really is shorted.)

Has anyone seen this failure mode before? In my past experience,
caps generally fail slowly.

My 1979 Sharp MW failed the same way(mine was a loud bang),it only cost me
$25 for a new cap (and diode) from a local appliance repair store. I
replaced the HV diode at the same time,because I could not test it.

This oven is STILL working,a good product.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik