Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

Default abbreviations

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:02:01 -0600, Mike Berger
wrote:

Isn't clarity the point of communications? Why make it more
obscure than necessary?

Because we really don't want you to know what we're talking about
until you've been initiated or have saved the boxtops and gotten the
decoder ring.

It's also very selfish and ethnocentric,

Oh puh-leeeze. Let me guess, it's rrrrrracist, too, right? Can we
please overuse another word or two and take away all possible
significance it might ever have had? What are you, 10?

since this newsgroup encompasses a worldwide community.

Yep, there are people on here from the US, UK, Australia, Belgium,
France, Germany, various African nations, Peru, and probably other
South American countries, I believe and probably a multitude of other
ones as well and yet the only one whining about "I don't know how to
play the game....change the rules for me.. WAAAAH!!!." is an
English-speaking, self-proclaimed 3 decade netizen who SHOULD know
better and another English-speaking whiner of unknown pedigree.
Everybody else deals with it, and either asks nicely, looks it up or
waits until they learn it on their own.

It's
enough that we force everybody to use English. We shouldn't
also force them to learn silly jargon... unless they're
middle school kids using ICQ.

ICQ? Now who's using "silly jargo?" Any of you non-English speakers
here, what time of day did the "Speak English Police" come to your
house and hold the gun to your head?

You're not alone. I've been using the Internet since ArpaNet
days (1975), English is my native language, and I don't know
what a lot of them mean either. I assume that people who use
them aren't really interested in getting their message across,
they just like to post.

You've been around for over 30 years yet you don't know the purpose
and origin of the wide use of acronyms on UseNet? ah-hem....who're
you trying to kid? If you've _really_ been around that long, that
doesn't even bear commenting on.

Oh, c'mon. You've learned the language if you know what a
sliding compound miter saw or boiled linseed oil are. You're
just showing off, or being elitest, when you start obscuring
things with acronyms and then tell everybody who doesn't
understand them that they aren't as well versed in the field
as you. You're just spewing alphabet soup.

Oh, c'mon. You've been around the 'Net long enough so you know
perfectly well the reason for acronyms (in part, the same as their use
as in any other community or subculture). You know perfectly well
what LOL, FWIW and all the rest mean. You're just spewing alligator
tears and being a troll.

Non sequiter. People haven't lost interest in learning when they
complain about others using stupid acronyms. Maybe they'd rather
learn HOW to use a sliding compound miter saw than all the different
ways to refer to one in this newsgroup.

No, Troll, they have just lost interest (or never even actually_ had_
any, like most trolls don't) in the use and topic of the newsgroup.
Like trolls who go to any newsgroup and pick some stupid thing to ****
and moan about, they just get people stirred up and then go on their
merry way.

Is this really Al Kyder? Have you been reincarnated as a troll, Al?
If you have, I liked you better as Al. At least your posts were
funny. Now they're just whiney and pathetic.

If it is, please go back to being Al. Otherwise, take off, Troll.

PLONK...! (know what that means, "Old-timer?")

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget