Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default General 16018-2-M1

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Donald, I hope it keeps working just fine for you. Like I said, it
probably was just the lathe I had. After 8 months I replaced the
reeves drive, about 9 months later I had to replace the whole unit,
worm, spindle and pulleys (first time it was just the pulleys).
About a year after that the far right pulley just fell off the spindle
and that was the end for me.

I now have, I think, the same lathe as billh (above post). It's a
26020 VS; I don't know what the VFD is. I paid $3,000 including taxes
and delivery but I bought it at the Albany Symposium last year. You
really can't beat the show specials!

Ruth
http://www.torne-lignum.com

========================

Ruth,
VFD in lathe terms is "Variable Frequency Drive". The motor runs at line
frequency, and the controller varies the line frequency. It must have a 3
phase power source, and probably should also have an extra fan motor since
the fan mounted inside the motor won't turn fast enough at low speeds to
control over heating problems. Hope this helps.

What Ken means to say is that the controller receives power at 60/50 HZ,
single or three-phase, and uses that power to produce other frequencies
which determine the rotation speed of the motor.

http://www.drivesys.com/asdis.html

Alternative is the DC motor. Or mechanical transmissions such as the Reeves
drive.