Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Berger

Default abbreviations

Oh, c'mon. You've learned the language if you know what a
sliding compound miter saw or boiled linseed oil are. You're
just showing off, or being elitest, when you start obscuring
things with acronyms and then tell everybody who doesn't
understand them that they aren't as well versed in the field
as you. You're just spewing alphabet soup.

George wrote:

I open those out of curiosity. How am I going to learn anything until I
learn the language?

Use to hear objections about that from the kids at school. "How come we
have to learn these big words?" pertaining to biological vocabulary was as
common a question as "Is this going to be on the test?"

Answer to both was the same - life is cumulative. Takes everything you know
to learn what you need.