Posted to rec.woodworking
MTBuddha

Default Install basement dehumidifier? (power tools, tools, damp air)

I work in an old basement workshop of three connected rooms. It is
damp, but no running water short of a monsoon generally. Since my
furnace/AC is in the basement as well, I installed a closeable louvered
vent in the hot air plenum. I have no more dampness problems summer or
winter, tools don't rust--with a minimum of protection. It is warm in
the winter and cool in the summer so it is always a workable
temperature. In analyzing the energy useage pre and post louver, I can
tell that the cost is minimal. And the biggest gain is the loss of
mold--seen and unseen. The de-humifier cost much more to run, didn't
work as well and was a general nuisance. The furnace and air are new
high efficiency models which help as well. The old furnace was only
about 60% efficient and didn't keep the basement warm, cool or dry
since most of the heat went up the chimney. Plastic containers have
their place, but you still need a dessicant os some sort or tools may
rust in situ. I have used the plastic boxes, but find that I can
better lay my hands on my tools if they are hanging within reach--then
buy a hard hat if you are chrome dome like me! MTBuddha