Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Default OT - Stella

Barry Jarrett feels:

apparently, 17 years in the coffee business trumps yale and harvard

when it comes to "industry standards" regarding coffee brewing.
the temperature issue has NEVER been successfully used by a plaintiff
in a burn/spill suit since the mcd's case, because the coffee industry
realized that the mcd's defense screwed up on that issue and stepped
forward to offer up expert testimony on coffee issues. the author of
"the coffee brewing handbook" and executive director of the specialty
coffee association of america, ted lingle, has appeared as an expert
witness in subsequent cases, specifically addressing the chemical
justifications for the industry standard brew temperature of 195-205F
as well as the industry standard hold temp of approximately 185F (i
don't have the handbook handy, so i'm not going to quote an exact
number), and the relationship between brew, hold, and serve temp, as
well as providing information regarding consumer preferences for HOT
coffee. in every case where ted has testified, the erroneous
information from liebeck, routinely reintroduced by subsequent
plaintiffs, has been successfully rebutted. this thread is just
another instance of the misinformation entered into the record at the
liebeck trial has been construed as "accurate" just because it's in
the record.
if you'd like more information, i suggest you contact the SCAA:
www.scaa.org

LOL
How can I help but feel information from a self serving group of
restaurant sponcered attorneys might be slightly biased? Would you
have any cites from an independent source? I didn't think so. So I'll
offer something.

I'm old enough to have eaten at some of the very first McDonalds, as
I'm sure many of you are. When I bought coffee at McDonalds, at this
time, the coffee seemed average in terms of heat level. At some time
down the road I bought some coffee and, when I began drinking I
promptly burned my mouth; McDonalds had turned up the heat. No
warning, just the switch from hot coffee you could sip carefully to
coffee that burned your mouth if you tried. At THIS time McDonalds was
saying they increased the heat for the seniors who complained about
their coffee cooling too rapidly.
You can rant all you want but the following is indisputable:
McDonalds is a careful company well experienced in defending law suits.
A jury, who was present through all phases of the trial found in favor
of the plaintiff.
We're all pleased to be able to air our views on the internet but it
doesn't change any of the facts.
If it was a poor black man on trial I might believe he was railroaded.
For anyone to say this about McDonalds, I believe, is an attempt to
distort the facts, and a silly attempt as well.

dennis
in nca