Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,misc.survivalism
Tim Wescott

Default Linux is Driving me $#@!!!! nutz!!!

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:57:54 GMT, SomeBody
wrote:

What I would do at this point, once you connect to your ISP, open a
command prompt (terminal window) and "ping yahoo.com" if it times out, try
to "ping 66.94.234.13" (yahoo), if it works then you have a problem with
DNS lookup, Look at /etc/resolv.conf, should have your ISP DNS servers
listed,

i.e.

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

substitute your ISP DNS servers for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

It should of updated this /etc/reslov.conf once connected. You could also
look in /etc/ppp for the config files for ppp

Good Luck..

What appears to be showing is local host isps, rather than the ISPs
name servers.

Network live, eth0 active

Contents of resolve.config

nameserver 206.13.28.12
nameserver 205.152.0.20
==========

Doing a route call from super user mode

root@1[~]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth0
==========
Network stopped, eth0 stopped

Connected via modem (kppp) to earthlin
Contents of resolve.config

domain earthlink.net #kppp temp entry
# nameserver 206.13.28.12 #entry disabled by kppp
# nameserver 205.152.0.20 #entry disabled by kppp
nameserver 207.217.126.81 #kppp temp entry
nameserver 207.217.77.82 #kppp temp entry
nameserver 207.217.95.8 #kppp temp entry
===============
Doing a route call from terminal

gunner@1[~]$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
acn09.ca-pasade * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0
0 ppp0
default acn09.ca-pasade 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
0 ppp0
gunner@1[~]$

Im running dialup, and the Box is configured to connect to the local
network here at home, via nic card on eth0. For some reason..it wants
to send internet requests to the lan, rather than the ISP (via
dialup), unless I turn off eth0. I run static IPs assigned to each
machine in the LAN in the 192.168.0,1-192.168.0.15 range, with a mask
of 255.255.255.0, not having a DCHP server assigning them.

Im rather like a moderately retarded kitten flailing around with a
ball of yarn..and the yarn is winning.

Ok..here is a big question...in dos, we have the config.sys and
autoexec.bat files, where house keeping settings are made, and then
various programs are run on boot. What is the Linux equivelent? What
is the boot sequence, and what is looked for as it boots?

Example..it makes a call and trys to look up ntpdate..outside time
server on bootup. Where is this and how do I edit it out?

I really really need to get some books on this damit...

Im tempted to reinstall, without the nic card, let it autoconfigure
the dialup, then add the nic card after.

Mid-posting. How charming.

"Linux In a Nutshell" by O'Reilly is a good one. I haven't tried it on
any networking problems yet -- at the moment I'm a Linux wannabe who
uses the Cygwin command line tools for software development in Windows
-- but so far it's answered almost all of my questions.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services