Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Painting a Smooth Finish on an Interior Door

RicodJour wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
Matt wrote:
I have a new interior door and I have some new acrylic paint
from Lowe's. Whats the best way to paint it so that there is
a smooth finish?

I bought a fine brush, but I don't have the technique down
so that I can lay the paint smoothly. I also used a roller
that paints it evenly but doesn't leave a very smooth surface.

Fill the wood surface if necessary
Brush, not roller
Thin the paint a bit
Do not rework the paint - lay it on, brush it out, move on
Several thin coats
Sand between coats

You're a regular whose advice and expertise I respect so I am being
neither facetious nor rhetorical whan I ask, how do you sand it?
I've never encountered a latex finishing paint (other than flat)
that would react to sandpaper in some manner other than gumming it
up.

I think it's all the granola in my diet that keeps me regular.

I prefer to use popcorn
______________

It also might be a
problem with the sandpaper you're using.

Aluminum oxide preferred but he only thing that provided semi-useful
results with latex was wet sanding with silicon carbide.
_______________

There may be some misinterpretation of what is meant by sanding. The
sanding is meant to knock down any nibs and smooth the highpoints of
any brush strokes.

That *might* be it. To me, "sanding" means abrading until the entire
surface becomes uniform; i.e., sand down to the lowest low (within
reason and without cutting through) then apply the next coat.

There was a possible clue to the solution in another post of yours in
this thread; namely, the word "acrylic". My experience with latex
paint and sanding has been so bad over the years that I avoid that type
of paint except for areas such as walls. I really don't know if that
experience includes 100% acrylic latexes or not. I'm going to buy a
small can and see.

Thanks for the response and links.

--
dadiOH